Tuesday 24 March 2009

How i have reached my concept from My Image

It might seem like im steaming ahead away from the brief slightly so this is a post to show my journey from my image to my concept.


When i first received my image i was pretty sure i wanted to move away from the obvious, i could have made a game just from using the aesthetic style of modrians work but instead i wanted to branch out and research into Modrians life, work and interests to find my inspiration.

I looked at a wide range of his works and found that his style has completely changed from when he began to his later pieces. He started out as an Impressionist artist and gradually through the years his work became more cubist, fragmented and deconstructed to the object or scenes basic form. Reaching his final years and his boogie woogie paintings he had created and evolved his own style, a non-representational form which he termed Neo-Plasticism. These images were stripped of all repetition and reality and created his own representation of the world around us which was inspired by sound and light as well and physical form.

My concept is derived from Mondrian’s journey, my main character Colin Zeal is my Mondrian if you will. Colin Zeal (the evil rich boss of Zeal Corp) buys a planet which is completely deserted apart from his head quarters (a blank canvas ready to be painted). He decides to go to another planet near buy and take apart the pieces and objects which he likes and wants and ships them back over to his own planet to build up his world just like Mondrian does with his paintings, he finds a visually rich scene and deconstructs it, removing pieces to leave just the basic form or shell for his painting.

My link to the brief is that from my image I have used the journey in which Mondrian took through his life in art and the journey and process for how mondrian produces or deconstruction an object or objects, pulling them to pieces and creating something new; his own vision of the world. The aim of my game is for you and your character Mr Jingo to stop your planet from being taken to pieces (deconstructed, fragmented).

No comments:

Post a Comment